Elder Michael Thornton

Elder Michael Thornton
24 August 2011 to August 2013

Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Twentieth Letter Home 09 January 2012

Hey guys, hows it going? This last week has been fun, but it has also been a little stressful, as always.

We had a baptism on Saturday, and a confirmation on Sunday! Sister J got baptized! I met her the last week of my first transfer, and I've been working with her since that time. She is an awesome lady, and she has a ton of faith. She would have gotten baptized last transfer, but she had to work on quiting smoking and drinking a little more.

She isn't completely over her addictions, but she is sincerely trying, and President said if she had a desire to be baptized, we should baptize her. She had a great desire, so we baptized her. She has made some very significant changes in her life, and her countenance is so much brighter now than it was when I first met her.

She'd had a rough life, and because of things that had happened to her, she didn't trust anyone. When I first met her, she was worried about her daughter who was addicted to meth, and living on the streets. We were teaching her about prayer, and the spirit told me to promise her that if she prayed for her daughter, that God would help her.

That Sunday was Fast Sunday, and she bore her testimony about how she had prayed for her daughter, and how the next day she got a call from the Sheriff telling her that they had arrested her daughter, and that she was going to be in jail for a while. Sister J realized that it was an answer to her prayer, because now she knew where her daughter was, and she knew she wouldn't be able to get drugs for awhile.

While Sister J's daughter was in jail, I arranged for the missionaries in that area to go and teach her. J's daughter is out now, and is thinking about baptism. She will have to do some work before she can do that, but you can see how the Lord answers sincere prayers, and how He works to bring his children back into His fold.

J says she doesn't trust anyone 100%, she is wary of everyone. But, she says she trusts me 100%, because when I make her promises they happen. I am so grateful that the Lord has blessed me with the opportunity to work with her. I believe she is one of the people the Lord promised me were waiting to hear the Gospel from me. I am really excited for her, and for the leaps of progress she has made.

I am almost 100% sure that I'm getting transferred next Tuesday. Elder Fosburgh called the President the other day, and their conversation went like this:

President,"Who are you with in Port Townsend?" (He forgot about me)
Fosburgh, "Thornton."
President, "Oh, how long has he been there?"
Fosburgh, "He's been here his whole mission so far, its been like four and a half months."
President, "Oh... well, its probably time for him to move huh?"

So yeah, my guess is Gig Harbor on bike lol. It will be fun, I'm ready to go find the rest of the people I'm supposed to teach.

So, some of the missionaries in this Mission do things really against the Mission Rules like buy IPADs so they can get on the Internet. Now we aren't allowed to have IPODs any more. The Mission President cannot allow missionaries to use their IPODs to listen to inappropriate music, look at inappropriate things, and so on. So everyone has to send their IPODs home, or they will be sent home with their IPOD, and if their companion knows about it and doesn't report it, he too will be sent home with his companion and his companion's IPOD. You should be getting a package in the mail soon, lol. It really irritates me when people do dumb, selfish things that ruin it for everyone else.

Transfer day is on Tuesdays now, and I'll get my phone call this Saturday. I'll be able to Email you next Monday and tell you where I will be going next.

I'm really going to miss this place, I've fallen in love with this area, my investigators, the members of the Ward and especially our recent converts. But, I'm excited to go to the next place Heavenly Father wants to send me.

I hope all of you have a wonderful week; I love you.

Love,


Elder Thornton

No comments:

Post a Comment