Elder Michael Thornton

Elder Michael Thornton
24 August 2011 to August 2013

Sunday, March 18, 2012

Twenty-Ninth Letter Home 12 March 2012

Whats up? 

Yuki got baptized on Sunday! It was so cool. She was so happy. Sunday was Stake Conference, and she was going around inviting everyone to her "special day." It was cute. I was so happy for her. I love fulfilling my purpose. 

President Weaver our mission president attended our Stake Conference. I had previously explained the organization of the Church to Yuki. I told her that President Weaver was called by the Apostles, and that he pretty much answers directly to the Quorum of the Twelve. Missionary work was the commission given to the Apostles by Jesus Christ (Mark 16). Full-time missionaries are a direct extension of the apostleship. Our commission comes from Christ through them. That is why we have the title "Elder." Yuki was so excited to see President Weaver. She invited him to her "special day" also. He showed up, and she was really happy. I think she might of thought he was an apostle... but that's okay. 

I'm still working with Austin. It's tough though, because he isn't progressing very well. I don't want to leave him; I really don't, but I can't make him live the commitments; I can't make him gain a testimony, and I know the only way he will develop greater faith in Jesus Christ is through keeping the commitments. He needs to read the Book of Mormon. He needs to pray about it. He has to apply the teachings in his life. These are the tools Heavenly Father has given us so we can establish a relationship with Him. 

It is a direct cause and effect. The right patterns of behavior will improve our faith, knowledge and ability to live happy and fulfilling lives. Commandment keeping brings blessings, which in turn helps us to realize those blessings come from God. In this pattern of obedience, our faith increases until we get to the point where we are like the Brother of Jared, who's faith and trust in God was so great, that he couldn't be kept from seeing the Lord and beholding all things. Faith isn't blind. It is a hope and power which leads to action, which in turn brings blessings, and establishes the truth of a principle. "Faith is a hope of things which are not seen, but are true." I will work with Austin as much as I can. Heavenly Father loves him. I love him. I would do anything for all of my investigators. But, I can't give them faith. That is something they must seek for themselves. 

We are working really hard. It has been tough though; I kind of got doubled into a new part of town because of the Ward boundary changes, and a lot of our potential and progressing investigators went to the Elders serving in the other Ward. It is becoming more and more apparent to me how little I actually know. I am so inexperienced. I'm a very young missionary, and my companion is only three months out. He has a bit of attitude: He doesn't try to learn the area, and though he is slightly more obedient then Bailey, he complains constantly. In times like these we define who we really are. Am I going to be valiant, and turn to the Lord with all my heart for guidance, or am I gonna just coast through, and wait until transfers. I am trying to be valiant! The fact that I don't know what I'm doing causes me to humble myself and seek to do things the Lord's way. His way is the only right way. 

I like my District, and I think the other Elders are beginning to accept me better as their District Leader. Elder Bowser is a good Elder; I like him. I think we are getting along well -- which is good, because he doesn't seem to like anyone else in the Zone, lol. 

Well, that's all the news I've got. We're trying to schedule more people on date so they can access the full power of the Atonement in their lives. What an awesome job I have! I love you, have a great week.
 
Love,
 
Elder Thornton
 
 
Grandma,

Thank you so much for the package, and weekly letters. I really enjoy hearing from you. I'm not very good at writing hand letters, but I wanted to let you know I appreciate your support. I love you.

Love,
 
Elder Thornton

No comments:

Post a Comment