Elder Michael Thornton

Elder Michael Thornton
24 August 2011 to August 2013

Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Fifty-Second Letter Home 20 August 2012

Hey, (I never know how to start these letters...)

Bremerton is sweet. I'm enjoying myself. The area is right across the Pugnet Sound from Manette, and I still go to the same church building, service is just at 1:00PM instead of 9:00AM. My new address is:

1604 Naval Ave. A 303
Bremerton, WA 98312

I really like all my companions; they're fun. Elder Grachev is the other Zone Leader, Elder Peck is a "greenie," and Elder Jones is a bit slow moving and slow talking, but he's a good Elder; I like him. They're all great. Elder Peck is excited about life, which is good. Elder Grachev is super tight. He cooks us food like buck wheat cereal in the morning, which is a popular breakfast in his "mother land," and he makes jokes. He's really touristy -- always taking pictures. I tease him because he's Russian, and we're serving in a naval town, lol. He's a good Elder, and we get along really well. He is not a spy!

The funny thing was that when I got my transfer call, President Weaver said to me, "Elder Thornton, I've got a special assignment for you..."

Anyway, the area is cool, we have some cool investigators, and I've transitioned all my old investigators over to the sisters in Manette. Being transferred and not being able to baptize the people I found and taught was disappointing, but I'm already seeing that the Lord had a purpose behind it.

Denise was one of our investigators. She really liked Elder Elder and I. She liked our lessons, she liked the way we answered her questions, and she felt really comfortable talking to us. But I think her boy friend felt a little threatened by us. Now that we're gone, he's actually come to church with her and has been asking questions about the gospel. The Lord knows what he's doing. I wasn't doing anything wrong, I was being a missionary, but I think he feels more comfortable now that Sister Missionaries are teaching his girl friend instead of a couple men. Ha-ha, being a missionary is awesome. I love it.

Today we went to Port Orchard. We road the foot ferry across the Sound. I had a blast. We floated pass the naval yard where we got to see submarines and carriers. We saw a bunch of seals (the animal kind, not the commando kind). It was really fun.

Our apartment actually has a nice view We look out over the Sound, and on the other side is a really nice park, called Lions Park. Nice to look at from a distance, but it's actually a sketchy area at night; safer during the day.

Not much else has happened this week. As is typical, transfers have been a little chaotic. I'm anxious to see miracles performed this transfer.

One attribute every hero in the Book of Mormon has is total trust in the Lord's promise and ability to fulfill his purposes. The brother of Jared, knew the Lord could do anything, according to his purposes. In his humble prayer, the brother of Jared affirms to the Lord, "thou can do this." Enos knew God could not lie. Captain Moroni had a perfect understanding of truth, and that conviction is key because in John 1:17 it says truth came from Christ. Captain Moroni had a perfect understanding of the atonement. He knew Christ, he had exercised the atonement in his life. Thus, when the lamanities came to war, he knew that God would support him and the Nephite people so long as there was a band of Christians in the land. He knew that God kept his promises. Moroni kept his promises to God, and God had kept his promises to him. Captain Moroni delighted in peace and righteousness. He in resisted iniquity. Whenever any of these men fell to their weaknesses in their lives, they all called upon the father in the name of Christ for forgiveness and for strength to overcome, and they received strength from God to overcome. They were perfectly acquainted with the grace of Christ. Those who never faced the storms of life, never learned where to place their feet so they wouldn't be blown over.

Obedience is the key to developing a true relationship with Jesus Christ. It's hard to be obedient sometimes. It's hard to fight against the natural man within us. Actually, it's impossible for us to do it alone. But victory is assured through the grace of Christ. In Mosiah 3:19 we learn that we will never come to know Christ if we never try and walk the path he gave us to follow.

My goal as a missionary is to get to know Jesus Christ. I love Jesus Christ. He is my friend. My mission has been the greatest experience of my life so far, because I've had the opportunity to serve side by side with Him. He's kept his promises to me, and everyday I try to keep my promises to him. I know we'll see miracles because he's promised me that. I have see miracles on my mission. What a gift. Guys, I would encourage you all to reflect on the miracles you've seen throughout your lives. They are gifts from Heavenly Father, to help strengthen our trust in him.

I love you guys.

Love,

Elder Thornton

No comments:

Post a Comment