Elder Michael Thornton

Elder Michael Thornton
24 August 2011 to August 2013

Sunday, November 6, 2011

Eleventh Letter Home 31 October 2011

Hey, how are things? 

This week has gone by quickly, and I can't believe it is already Halloween. Maybe thats becuase I've been "trick-or-treating" everyday for the past 7 weeks; (haha) though the other day I knocked on a door and this lady answered. 

I said, "Hello. We are the Missionaries from the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints. We are in the neighborhood offering service. Is there anything we can do for you today?" 

Her response was, "I don't appreciate the way you approached my door." Slam! 

I was super confused, I hadn't heard that one before (haha). I've heard things like, "Well, we are too busy drinking right now." or "You need to leave before we call the cops," and "Come Halloween I'll be flying around on my broom!" (she was a witch). It's great. Knocking on doors is an adventure. 

At one house the people are telling you how much they appreciate what you do, and at the next house the guy is cussing you out. It's crazy how people allow something as simple as a couple of kids kocking on their door ruin their entire day. Anyways, things are going well here in PT/Chimicum. We have two on date for November 13 and some good progressing investigators. Elder Topp is good guy, and this is his last six weeks. After this he has to go home. 

He plays the piano really well, and he is pretty funny. We get along well. His approach is quite a bit different than Elder Andreasen's in that he is really laid back, he doesn't say much, and he likes to try and joke with people on their door steps. Elder Andreasen was very professional about things. I'm not sure which style I like better, but it is alot easier to be professional than funny. People around here don't always like jokes. 

I've been working really hard on being myself, and relaxing. It's difficult, because being a missionary really takes you out of your comfort zone. I'm getting the hang of things though, and I'm having a lot of fun.  

Our name tags are like magnets: people with serious problems like the drunkards and the homeless often want to talk to us -- which is good, but too often they come and interrupt when we are trying to talk to another person about the Gospel. We were teaching one of our investigators at McDonalds the other day, and this intoxicated, vulgar man came and sat down right next to me. I was teaching, and he wanted my attention so he could tell me that what I was saying was BS. All I could understand were his expletives. For some reason people can always pronounce those right, lol. He stuck around for like 15 minutes. Elder Topp tried to distract him so I could continue talking to our investigator. Ridiculous. 

Another guy on the bus kept asking me, "How do you get hit by a car?" 

Me, "I don't know, I guess you would have to be in the middle of the road." 

"There are no street lights, see..." 

"You're right, someone must have moved them."

Then he asked, "Where is Blynn?"  

"I don't know, I think you're on the wrong bus. This one is going to Port Townsend." 

"How do you get hit by a car?" 

This conversation repeated for 40 minutes! Haha.

So today is Halloween, and lots of people around here like to dress up like us, and get into trouble. For our protection from false accusation and muggings, President Weaver has instructed us to go to Sequim for a Zone meeting, all day long! It's weird not being allowed to do missionary work.

I'm doing well as far as food and warmth goes, I haven't had a pillow for seven weeks though, and I'm really starting to miss it. I don't have a blanket either, but the Relief Society said they would make me one during their quilting activity. The members feed us on weekends, and we are starting to score meals on other days of the week as well. The ward members are starting to like us better. :) 

We got invited to have Thanksgiving at a members house, so I'm pretty stoked about that. It definitely beats my previous plan of chilli burritos. Something that might be nice for Christmas would be a white Under Armor thermal shirt that I could wear under my white shirts -- just in case you were wondering, lol. 

Well, I don't have much else to say, I'm working hard, learning how to work smart, and doing my best to be obedient. I have a strong testimony that obedience and hard work produces miracles. I hope everyone is fine, and I love you. 

Remember to say your prayers and read your scriptures, these things invite the Spirit into your life and give you the strength to overcome temptations and trials. Every less active person has the same problem: They don't read their scriptures.
 
Amber and uBrad. Hey, I loved the package you sent. That book was fun Amber, I liked it. I hope things are going well for you guys.
 
Angela and Trevor. I hope things are going well for you, and I hope to hear from you soon.
 
David Tyler. Congrats on BBall man. That's awesome that you are playing and sinking those baskets. Keep it up. 

P.S. do you have an I touch and an I Pod Nano? Cause if you do, I'm allowed to have an I Pod if it is cleared of all the songs it has on it. Then I could load it with Approved stuff. If you still have an extra one, can you send it to me? Thanks.
 
Bye, I have to go.
 
Love,
 
 
Elder Thornton

No comments:

Post a Comment