Elder Michael Thornton

Elder Michael Thornton
24 August 2011 to August 2013

Monday, November 28, 2011

Fourteenth Letter Home 28 November 2011

Hey guys, 

This week has been really tough. None of our baptisms went through this weekend, and no one from last weekend showed up to get confirmed. Its been really stressful and frustrating. 

I really appreciated the packages though, thanks a lot. However, I have too much stuff, and I have to send a bunch of things home. I have three stocking caps, two sets of gloves, and a bunch of other things. My North Face jacket keeps me plenty warm, and dry. Anyway, I have to consolidate my things so I can carry everything in two suitcases. 

We went to a really nice family's home for Thanksgiving, and they cooked a really fancy Thanksgiving dinner. They were very welcoming, and we really appreciated it a lot, but being with even the nicest family besides my own just isn't the same. I missed all you guys. 

We weren't allowed to go tracting or anything, so we felt kind of useless. Sitting around makes you feel trunky, and when I feel trunky I feel like I'm being ungrateful for all the wonderful blessings I'm receiving.

Today is the last p-day before transfers next Monday. I'm almost positive I'll be here another transfer, but there is no guarantee since President Weaver emergency transferred an entire zone this last transfer due to some serious apostasy. When people get moved around like that, you never know what's going to happen. I hope I get to stay here. I don't want to leave this area. I'm going to work really hard this week so that everything will work out. 

Its crazy how happy and excited you can be one week, and how depressed and frustrated you can be the next. The adversary has hit every single one of our investigators with a ton of bricks this week. As a missionary, I think you kind of get a small sense of how Heavenly Father feels when we don't accept the wonderful gifts He offers us. It hurts. You know that the gospel will bless their lives. You know it can heal their spiritual wounds; and you know it will make them really happy. Sorry this letter sounds depressing; I'm kind of bummed its p-day because I want to go make some good things happen. We need some success. 

We do have an appointment tonight with a lady who was supposed to be baptized on Sunday, and I'm praying we will be able to help her get back on date. 

We did have some funny stuff happen this week: we knocked on a door and this lady peeked trough the mail slot instead of opening the door. She asked who we were, and upon realizing we were the missionaries, she said: "Uh, I'm not home right now." And she shut the mail slot. Haha! That made me laugh. 

A bunch of people have asked us never to come back again, and then they proceed to spend 10 minutes telling us why they don't want us around -- how we are breaking the law, how their names should be on our "do not contact" list, and so on. They won't let us leave until we promise not to come back lol. What they don't realize is that their is an unlimited supply of Elders who haven't promised not to come back, who will show up every six weeks, and we don't have a list of people to "not contact." If we did, more than half this place would be on there. Haha, Heavenly Father keeps giving them multiple chances. 

I'm excited for this week, its going to be a good one. Heavenly Father is in charge, and his work will go forth.
 
So, I really need to be able to drive, but I can't until I get a DMV report. Could you please send that as soon as possible? Thank you. 

I'll send home pictures soon, most of them are landscape, and there are a few of me. The goofy stuff is all on P-day, just letting you know. I'm having a lot of fun out here, and I love this area. 

I'm halfway through 3rd Nephi in my reading, I absolutely love the Book of Mormon. I promise you guys that if you make the Book of Mormon the foundation of your testimony, and you study together as a family, you will have the power to overcome your challenges, and you won't fall away. 

It is amazing to me how hard the devil fights my investigators when it comes to reading the Book of Mormon. They will read the Gospel Principles Manuel, they will read the Ensign, but getting them to crack the Book of Mormon open is like pulling teeth. Why? There is nothing wrong with reading the Ensign or Gospel Principles, in fact those are wonderful resources; but the devil knows that if people gain a testimony of the Book of Mormon, they will know that Jesus Christ is their Savior, that Joseph Smith is a prophet and the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints is Christ's Church established on the Earth today.  If the devil can keep you from knowing that, he will eventually break you down. 

I love you guys, thanks for your support and prayers. May God continue to bless you.
 
Love,
 
 
Elder Thornton
 
Thanks for all the Vitamins and goodies, they make my day. I have to go, but I'll talk more next week. I should still be here. Bye.

No comments:

Post a Comment