Elder Michael Thornton

Elder Michael Thornton
24 August 2011 to August 2013

Tuesday, December 27, 2011

Eighteenth Letter Home 27 December 2011

Hey, I enjoyed talking to you guys on the phone. I had fun at the Peet's home, they made roast beef for dinner, and we watched "17 Miracles." President Weaver approved the movie. It was the second time I've seen it; we watched it as a zone on Halloween. It is really good. Have you guys seen it? If not, you should watch it. It is about the Willie and Martin handcart companies, and the miracles that followed them throughout their journey.

I finished the Book of Matthew today, and I also finished the story of Ammon and his brothers' mission to the Lamanites. I love that story, it is super good. It gets me so pumped about missionary work. Matthew was good also, but I can see how people could become confused by the Bible without reading the Book of Mormon. So many plain and precious truths have been removed from the Bible, and the ones that remain are kind of vague. The Book of Mormon is the single greatest piece of evidence that the Bible is even true. By itself, the Bible can be easily mis-interpreted, mis-construed, bent, shaped, and pointed in whatever direction those reading it want. But the Book of Mormon is a solid, pure testament of Jesus Christ, which confounds false doctrine, and acts as a stumbling block to all those who fight against the Church of Jesus Christ. Many have tried to pull it apart, dissect it, and prove it wrong, and have failed. Why? Because the origin of the Book of Mormon is simple, it is a record of God's dealings with the ancient inhabitants of the Americas, which was kept by the Lord's prophets, and delivered by a holy messenger to a boy named Joseph Smith. God has promised that if you pray about whether this record is true, He will answer your question, yes or no.

I love the Book of Mormon. It is my favorite book. I never get tired of reading it. It was interesting talking to you guys on the phone, particularly Dad. It used to be that I could talk with you whenever I wanted, I could receive council at the touch of a button. Now, I receive council, guidance, and encouragement every night when I get down on my knees and speak to my Heavenly Father. I talk with Him, I council with Him, and He talks back. When I pray at night, I ask questions, pause, and wait for the answer. The answers come very quickly often times, and other times, the story about the Brother of Jarrod pops into my mind, and I know that Heavenly Father wants me to come up with a solution on my own. When this happens, I come up with an idea, and then ask Him to bless my work.

The power of prayer is real. He truly does answer prayers. "Council with the Lord in all thy doings..." The key word is council. Talking to you guys on the phone reminded me of this.

This week is going to be a bit slow, everybody is still celebrating. I'm ready for the Holidays to be over so I can get back to work. We have to work anyways, and it is a lot nicer when you actually have something to do. I hope you guys have a wonderful week, and a happy New Year.

Love,

Elder Thornton


Grandma,
Thank you so much for the package, I really appreciate the gifts. I hope you had a wonderful Christmas. Thank you for sending me letters every week, I enjoy getting them.

Mom and Dad,
Thank you for the presents. I like the music you put on the IPOD, we listened to it today during personal study. Thanks for all the other things, and supporting me on my mission. I'm glad you have a lot picked out.

Where is it at?

Amber and Brad,
Thanks for the subway card, I've used it a couple of times so far.

Happy Anniversary! I hope you have fun in Vegas.

Brad, there is this guy in the ward that is a cop, and he's been on SWAT teams, he was a SWAT sniper, and an undercover NARC officer. He is about to retire now, and as a hobby he likes to build AK-47s. He gets the basic Kalashnikov platform, and then customizes them. His has a rail, a collapsible buttstock, and he is going to put an Aimpoint sight on it. Its a pretty cool gun. He wanted to take me shooting, but I told him it was against the rules. It would have been fun though.

No comments:

Post a Comment