Elder Michael Thornton

Elder Michael Thornton
24 August 2011 to August 2013

Sunday, June 3, 2012

Thirty-Fifth Letter Home 23 April 2012

Hey, how is everybody?

I'm doing really well. I got to exercise this morning so I'm stoked. I did Insanity with the District in the gym at the Church. I tell you what, eight months in a car hasn't been very good for me... Ha-ha; it was fun though. I'm going to get into shape. I feel so much more energized. I really dislike feeling sluggish and lethargic; plus being in shape boosts my confidence level which affects the work in a positive way. A win/win scenario.

I'm sorry that Grandpa passed away, but I'm also happy for him.

In the mission, we use our two years of service as an analogy for life. Before we came into the mission, we lived with our families. We learned; we grew; we experienced life. Then, upon choosing to serve a mission we were born into the the mission field where we have the opportunity to test what we knew from before: help other people, and gain greater experience and knowledge. Our time in the mission field is difficult at times, but when we focus on the Savior, and seek to align our will with His, we experience great joy. Everyone that enters the mission field knows that their time in field will come to an end. Some choose to use the time they've been given wisely, and give themselves over to the work. Others, try to live in two worlds at once, and in so doing waste the time they've been given. Eventually every one's time in the field comes to an end, and they "die." At that point, they sit down with the "President" and account for their mission. Did they choose to live happily by doing the work? Or did they make themselves miserable wanting what they couldn't have? Many will be filled with joy. They will miss those people they have come to love so dearly, and people will miss them, but they will have joy when they look into their parents eyes and can honestly say they gave it their all. Life continues after the mission, just as it continues after this life. Those things we learned here will go with us, and our knowledge will be added upon as we continue to experience life.

I'm excited for Grandpa. He fought a good fight, and now he has gone home. I am so grateful for the Plan of Salvation. What a gift. When all hell brakes loose in movies, what is it that everyone wants to hear? "Don't worry, I've got a plan." It doesn't even have to be a good one, just the thought of having a plan calms everybody's nerves. The Plan of Salvation is a perfect plan, and Heavenly Father has set things up for us to succeed gloriously.

I love you guys. Viki is getting baptized this Saturday. The gospel is true, and I love seeing it change people's lives, and give them hope. Have an awesome week. Here's a scripture to ponder in Mormon 9:24.

Love,

Elder Thornton

No comments:

Post a Comment