Elder Michael Thornton

Elder Michael Thornton
24 August 2011 to August 2013

Sunday, June 3, 2012

Thirty-Seventh Letter Home 07 May 2012

Hey! How are things?

Sorry I'm so late writing today, I had to mow the lawn...

So we live in a super ghetto little box behind some one's house, that is smaller than the neighbor's garage, but for some reason it has a pretty big lawn. Our neighbor Reggie wants us to clean up the neighborhood by keeping our yard nice. It makes sense, except the only way anyone can see our yard is by going down a sketchy alley, and we definitely aren't bringing down the neighborhood by any means, lol.

Reggie brought us his weed eater like five days ago as a hint hint that we need to mow our lawn. We don't have time to mow, so we told him we would mow it on Monday (our Preparation-day). He came over three days later, and knocked on our door while we were doing our personal study. He was furious, he was like why the heck haven't you mowed your lawn man? I thought we were trying to clean up the neighborhood. I explained that we could only do it on P-day, and upon hearing that he stomped off with his weed eater.

Today, Monday, a member let us borrow their lawn mower, and I mowed the lawn. It took a whole hour to do it, but that should please Reggie for a couple more weeks. After that, our District went on a hike out to an old sunken ship. When the tide is low you can walk all the way out to it. It was fun, there were huge starfish and other marine life. Our District is pretty tight. We do "Insanity" exercise workouts every morning together, and it has been good for our health and our unity. It's a real pump-up for everyone.

This has been a tough week. We've spent a lot of time tracting and following up, and we haven't found any solid new investigators. Plus, all our investigators fell off date because they didn't come to Church. It's so hard, Bowser and I were at their house 30 min before Church, which starts at 1:00pm, and they were getting ready. We had to meet a couple other investigators at Church, so we said we would meet them over there... They never showed up. I watched the door like a faithful puppy all through Sacrament meeting, and they never came. It's ridiculously frustrating. I feel worried for their behalf, I don't know what to do to help them. I think they are just really shy. They love having us around, we teach lessons, we read the Book of Mormon with them, they say they want to be baptized, and then they don't show up to Church. All I can do is work hard, pray for them, and be obedient.

Mother's Day is coming up, which means I get to call home again. Did you know that? President Weaver is letting us Skype this time -- only for 30 minutes though. If we call on the phone, we get 40 minutes to visit. He's trying it out, (I think Sister Weaver talked him into it, lol). So if you want to Skype let me know through email before next Sunday. I'll be calling or emailing between 4:30 and 5:00 my time. I'll check my email at the member's house before I do, so I can get the skype address. We don't have to Skype if you don't want to. I would be fine with calling.

I'm almost done with the Book of Mormon again, I'm in the book of Ether. The last part of the Book of Mormon is so tragic, It makes me feel really sad for Mormon and Moroni. They were super valiant men. As I read the first chapters of Ether this morning, I came to the chapter where Christ bears witness that the Book of Mormon is true. As I read, the Spirit re-iterated to me how important it is that we have a testimony of the Book of Mormon. As those thoughts came to my mind, I paused my reading and feeling impressed to ask God if the Book of Mormon was true, I offered a prayer. I thanked Heavenly Father for the wonderful testimonies and examples contained in the Book of Mormon, and then asked God if they were true. A feeling of peace rushed over me that was so wonderful, I could have sat there in my chair forever. I felt peace, joy, and light, and then this thought. "Michael, the Book of Mormon is true, go share it." I love the Book of Mormon, and my greatest desire is to help convert people to Jesus Christ. The Book of Mormon contains the fullness of Christ's gospel, and it is clear and straight forward. Plus, the Book of Mormon is evidence that God keeps his covenants, and he loves all of his people. The Book of Mormon is key to conversion. I am thankful to be here sharing the good news. The great apostasy is over, the period of darkness, when the heavens were sealed is over. The Gospel of Jesus Christ has been restored. "The standard of truth has been [raised], no un-hallowed hand can stop the work from progressing. Persecutions may rage, mobs may combine, armies may assemble, and calumny may defame. But the truth of God will go forth boldly, nobly, and independent, till it has penetrated every continent, visited every climb, swept every country, and sounded in every ear. Till the purposes of God shall be accomplished, and the great Jehovah shall say the work is done." -Joseph Smith-

I hope you have an awesome week. I'm looking forward to sharing the miracles that are going to happen this week with you guys when I get to talk to you.

Love,


Elder Thornton

No comments:

Post a Comment