Elder Michael Thornton

Elder Michael Thornton
24 August 2011 to August 2013

Friday, September 30, 2011

Sixth Letter Home 26 September 2011

Hey family, I don't have very much time today, but I love all the Emails you sent me. I only get an hour on Mondays to Email, and the Library has been packed all day. P-day ends at 5:00. I'm glad Disneyland was fun, It sounds like everyone had a blast. This week has been awesome. Besides the regular comical run-ins with rednecks, hippies, and anti-mormons, we had a very productive week. 

We have another investigator on date for baptism in October, and we are super stoked. We committed her during the Doctrine of Christ lesson. The spirit was really strong, and she is going to take work off for the next three Sundays so she can be baptized.  I love it when the Spirit teaches the lesson. Teaching the Gospel, and inviting others to experience the same joy that I have felt from living the Gospel of Jesus Christ makes up for all the door slamming, snide comments,  and homesickness that accompanies missionary work. I love being a missionary. 

We ran into this crazy dude the other day, and all he does is sit outside on the main street in Port Townsend with white boards that are anti-everything lol. This guy has conspiracy theories: He is anti-religious, anti-government, you name it, he has an argument against it. He is ridiculous. 

We had an awesome experience on Friday. It was 8:00PM, too dark to go tracting, and we didn't have any appointments. We remembered our Mission President, President Weaver, instructed us to createMormon.org profiles, so we decided we would go to a members home and work on our profiles. Long story short, we got a refferal from them about a non-member family that needed help moving the next day. We showed up at the home of the woman that needed help moving and were surprised to see that we were the only young guys there. The woman who owned the house was 90 years old, and it was just her and her daughters who were all in their 40s. We helped them move everything they couldn't lift, which was pretty much everything lol. This woman had like 8 desks, 5 couches, a marble table. Heavy stuff like that. The family of the old woman was super grateful, and they invited us to come to their family restaurant for free that night. It was a really good little Italian place, and the menu was really expensive. The best part was, after we ate, the family thanked us, and asked for our phone number.(This never happens) They told us that we were sent from heaven, and we were changing lives. Then they told us that we had changed their opinion about missionaries and about our church. I hope that we will be invited back to teach the lessons, but regardless, it was an awesome experience. It was a testimony to me that when you are obedient, and you show the Lord that you are willing to do what he has asked of you, he blesses you. I had been praying all week that we would find someone to teach the gospel to, and we were given the opportunity to teach through our actions. I love this Gospel, and I love being a servant of my Heavenly Father.
 
Amber and Brad, thanks so much for that package! I love Beef Jerky and Cliff Bars.  Haha that totally made my day. I hope everything is going well for you. I love you alot, and I hope you have a great week. Sorry I can't write more, I'm out of time.
 
Angela and Trevor, I'm so glad you had such a good time in Disney Land. I get your letters, but I don't have much time to write, sorry about that. I love hearing from you though. Bella and Xander are super awesome. I was trying not to laugh out loud about Xander's car noises lol. I'm in Library, so that probably wouldn't be good. Haha. Trevor that Uzi sounds way fun. I'm glad you guys are moving to Colorado to run the business. I think that will be really good. I love you alot, and I hope you have a great week.
 
I got to go, sorry this letter is so short. I wish I could write more.

Love,
 
Elder Thornton

No comments:

Post a Comment